Connor Padraig and Norah Maeve

Friday, February 18, 2011

The High Chair

It's amazing how much life can make you grow and develop just when you think you've reached your "peak". Becoming a Mother has definitely taught me that I really had no idea who I was until this beautiful little girl came into my life.  Now everyday is such a learning experience and I grow so much as a person and of course, a Mom.

It all started a few weekends ago when Kevin and I had to be a part for the first time since Norah was born.  He was traveling back home to New Jersey to be with his parents while his Dad had a big surgery. We decided it was better for Norah and I to stay home and I was a little nervous at the fact of being home day and night by myself. What's amazing is that it went smoothly, effortlessly, and I had such a sense of pride for what I had just accomplished. Of course I missed my husband in the way that anyone misses those they love, but I was seriously fine being home alone with Norah for a few days.  I started to feel a new sense of independence, like when you first move away to college and think you can do anything.

The following weekend it was Norah and I's turn to go down to New Jersey and visit the Grandparents (as we were told Norah IS the best medicine..I agree). I hadn't made the drive to New Jersey by myself in awhile and especially not with Norah. I thought I would make things more exciting for myself and bring our highly stressed in the car beagle Lucy too! It's about a 3 hour drive on major interstates through Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey. As I passed by the NYC skyline, threw my change out the window at the toll booths, and remembered exactly which exits that I needed to take without hesitation, I thought, "wow, I'm pretty awesome!" haha...

After a great trip, I came back home to build this....

The ULTIMATE independent move that I could make.  Sure, when my husband came home to find me sitting on the floor, the base and the chair separate from each other, all kinds of screws everywhere, and Norah and I singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" because I was clearly stuck on step 7 of the 14, he was a little annoyed that I decided to do this on my own.  More for the fact that he LOVES to build...from legos to Ikea furniture...but I just had to build this high chair...it was going to prove what an independent little Momma that I have become. I did end up finishing it that night..after Kevin literally took a block of wood and flipped it over because that was all that needed to be done to move away from step 7...nothing like that to keep me grounded, wow...but I did it, I built Norah's high chair!!  Yay!!!

So I can't help but think what's next.  It's really an exciting feeling to gain this new sense of independence and know that I am capable of taking care of another human being on my own.  NOT THAT I EVER WANT TO DO THIS LONG TERM but it's very nice to know that for a few days I can handle it. Life is all about ups and downs and I was strongly aware of that before I became a Mother...but it sure is wonderful to watch each new day come at you and try to conquer it with some confidence and flexibility. 

If only I knew the cure for some major middle of the night teething!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment